Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Kiss of the Night", by Sherrilyn Kenyon


I have made it to book 5 in the Dark-Hunter adventure.  This book should be about Wulf Tryggvasen.  I remember Wulf being brought up a time or two in the other books, but what I remember about him is that he is a very good friend of Talon.   
As I am sticking to my reading order, I will read "A Dark Hunter Christmas" online , before reading this one, as it is suggested.  This is a short story on the site I have listed before, but i will list it here again.http://www.dailyinquisitor.com//hunter/release.htm.  
As always, I will post a full review upon completion . Heading back to work tonight, so it will take me a bit longer for this read, but it's all good.  Until then...

Whew... So I finished "Kiss of the Night", book 5 in the Dark-Hunter book series tonight. I am going to just say up front... I got a little lost on this one. I was feeling a little Dark-Hunter dumb by the time I finished, but let's talk about it anyway.  

First, as you may already know, this is the story of Wulf Tryggvasen, Dark-Hunter. We know Wulf as friend to Talon from book 3. We find out about how Wulf became a Dark-Hunter in this book, and to be honest, I am not sure I fully grasp how either. I am going to check out the Companion book to look up few names there to see if it can give me some insight. 

Apparently, he was tricked in some way into his Dark-Hunter status, but I will leave that to you to read about. So, Wulf meets a soulmate and love of his life, as the Dark-Hunters seem to do in Sherryilyn's world. This time we are dealing with an Appollite, Cassandra. Remember that little god called Apollo and how all of his descendent were to be cursed... well guess whose descendent Cassandra is? Yeah, and guess what it is that Wulf is supposed to hate, yeah you guessed it.

So , this relationship should be doomed from the beginning, right? Wrong, not if Artemis and Apollymi have anything to do with it. Yeah, apparently there is more at stake here in the gods eyes than we see on the surface.  

You will learn more about the Daimons and the different kinds of Daimons. There are a several different types of Daimons out there that Wulf has never heard of. The Akelos Daimons, that feed only on criminals, the Anaimikos Daimons, that feed only from other Daimons to survive. The Spathi Daimons make an appearance here as well.  

Along with the Daimon education, you learn a lot of of the Appollitte heritage and history as well as Wulf's bloodline and the importance of his squire , Chris. So, not only is the Apollo blood line if extreme importance so is the bloodline of Wulf Tryggvasen, and you will see why.  
So, we have a Dark-Hunter, an Appollite, the godesses and gods, Daimons, Squires, Were-Panthers and I am sure some I have forgotten , all intermingled here... yeah, it can get a bit confusing , this one.  

I did like that at some point in the book (not saying when) several of the now Dark-Hunters and the previous ones who gave up their status for love (yeah, Kyrian, Talon, Zarek... and the god Julian) get to have a little reunion in the line of duty. That was a fun part of the book, but I will let you read about why and how. 

Learning more about the Appollites and the Daimons was interesting also. I guess the one thing negative I would say, is it just got a bit confusing at times is all. A lot going on to try to keep up with, but all in all , my Dark-Hunter adventure will continue, as I move onto book 6. Oh, and as the reading order goes, I did read "Dark Hunter Christmas" story online as the reading order suggests and not really sure it was a necessary read before this. It talks of Jamie Gallagher, and nothing really comes up in book 5 , that refers back to it that I can see. 

Until then... "Coffee... Daimons...coffee...Daimons...", Talon Runningwolf

No comments:

Post a Comment